It's Going to Get Worse Before it Gets Better

In the 2 months since I've written a post, the seasons have changed and it's lovely and cold now; perfect winter running weather with just a dusting of snow for good grip on the trails. Yesterday was clear, cold and brilliantly sunny - running with my friends Ben and Jamie on a quiet trail alongside the sparkling Coaticook river, it was one of those days where everything seemed right with the world.

I am tentatively thinking about running my tenth marathon next spring, and so have been slowly upping the mileage to build a good base before starting to train in earnest after Christmas. The title of this post refers to a kind of mantra I use when training (and have often subjected my training partners to). Although it sounds negative, it is a reminder that on some runs I am just going to feel awful. My body will initially protest the increasing mileage, but as the weeks go by I will get stronger and faster. Interestingly, I find that I almost always feel great on long runs - it is those mid-week shorter runs that feel like slogs. I chalk this up to investing more in being mentally prepared for the long ones.

The beauty of this mantra is that with time and perseverance, things do eventually get better. As always, I am reminded of the parallels between the regimen of distance training and successfully managing life's challenges. Though prospects may some days seem bleak, patience and determination toward a goal always helps me to deal with difficult times. And the reward of striving for mental and physical endurance? A strong body and mind on a perfect long run on a sunny, snowy day.


Comments

  1. Just a note to say this brings back many memories.Beautiful place to run.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts