Happy Trails

It seems I'm not the most...consistent blogger. It's hard to believe that my last post was in December(!), but then again I've had some major life changes since then. Running-wise, I had a solid winter of training capped off with the Around the Bay 30k race in March (2:19), and the Billy Taylor 15k race in April (1:05). Since then I haven't raced, but have moved to BC and am re-connecting with my trail running self. It has been humbling, motivating, and exceedingly fun. 
Single track is my friend

The runs I do now largely look like the above picture, with lots of up and down switchback trails, logging roads, and rugged cross country mountain bike trails. They also have the advantage of having periodic views like this:

All in all, it's a pretty incredible place to run, and it is likely going to mean some re-evaluating of my race goals. I have always loved running on trails but have never had such easy access to them; now that I do, it is going to be difficult for me to want to run on the roads again. This might mean a switch to trail racing in my near future. I have done a couple trail races in the past (one particularly memorable one ran straight up Mount Orford in Quebec), and have always thought that one day I would get into this sport in a big way.

Funny story about trail racing: on my 3rd day here, I decided to load myself up with some water and my camera and go on an exploratory long run (hence the photos). About 5-k into it, I started passing some other runners on the trail, who were being amazingly nice, saying things like "way to go!" and "looking good!". I was running along with a huge smile on my face, thinking that these BC trail running types might just be the nicest runners in the world. It was then that I noticed the race numbers. After politely asking a man who I found myself running beside for a few minutes, I found out that I had planted myself in the midst of a 50-mile trail race. It's no wonder they thought I was "looking good", considering I had been running for less than half an hour and they were halfway through 50 miles! 

Thankfully, I was only on the course for a few miles before I branched off in search of a trail that circumnavigated a lake - however, on my way back and after running for about an hour and a half, I was offered refreshments at an aid station, which I promptly took advantage of to fill up my water and munch on some watermelon.

I am possibly the only person in the world that this would happen to, but this type of thing seems to be par for the course for me (no pun intended). I now have a half-formed idea in my head that I will attempt the 50k version of this race next year - it just seemed like such an amazing event. I have run quite a few marathons, and the 50k distance alone doesn't strike fear into my heart; but, running on trails is an entirely different beast. It will be a new challenge for me, which is daunting, and exciting. What better reason to do it? 

Comments

Popular Posts